Sunday, June 24, 2012

DIY Skirt

I was in Ghana last January and bought this beautiful dress.  I just love the bright colors and the gorgeous print, but the dress didn't fit me too well.  I also noticed the seams to be ripping a little bit.  I decided to use my own crafting skills, and rework the dress into a high waisted skirt.  The dress had a zipper, but when I cut off the top, the zipper didn't work anymore.  So i decided to take out the zipper and sew up the seam.  I also added a little bit of seam allowance to both sides.  Then I used my favorite method of closing--elastic.  It works perfect for any closing and it's so simple!  
I folded the top over, and stitched it down, and then I ironed it and stitched the top so the elastic won't flip inside.  Then I added a safety pin to the elastic, and threaded it through the band. It's a very easy method, and it works quickly. 


The skirt looks really cute high waisted with a tank top for summer.  And now, it's appropriate for work :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment