Sunday, June 17, 2012

Crayon Art--Trial-Error

I saw a few new crafting ideas on pinterest, and wanted to try them out.  I went to Walmart and bought a hot glue gun, some poster board, contact paper, and a box of crayons.  I wanted to make a cook poster of a quote.  First I decided on my favorite teaching quote

"A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary" 

So I printed off the letters I needed in a neat font--Helvetica.  Then I cut them out, to trace on my contact paper.  Make sure to trace the letter backwards, so that they will be the right way when you cut them out.  

Then I used a funky scissors to cut out the letters, and stuck them to my poster board.  

Finally I decided to try something I saw on Pinterest.  I saw that you can use a hot glue gun to melt crayons.  So I peeled some crayons and put them through my hot glue gun.  It didn't work as well as I suspected, and it made a big mess.  ( I would not recommend it)



So since I didn't really like the hot glue gun melting the crayons, I decided to just color a litte myself, and then I tried melting the crayons a little with a blow dryer.  It turned out okay.  

Last, I peeled off the contact paper, and then you can (kinda) see the quote.


Then I wrote out the quote in black crayon to accent it.



2 comments:

  1. This looks great!! Too bad the glue gun thing didn't work.. it's a wicked idea. Thanks for visiting my blog! Would love to follow each other and keep in touch :)

    Jen
    http://drawingsunderthetable.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really love crayon art, and I love trying out ideas I see on the internet. We'll keep in touch and share some fun crafting ideas! Megan

      Delete